Internship USA

Internship USA is a unique program for full-time students and recent graduates which allows you to work in the US, in a job related to your field of studies, for up to 12 months. You can apply and go at any time of year.

It is a chance to put your studies into practice, enhance your skills and learn about American business culture from the inside.

Whatever your field of study, Internship USA will add new weight to your CV. There is a huge range of jobs you can undertake while in the US.

You also ‘earn while you learn’ and you can use the money to be a tourist at the end of the program. Your visa allows you 30 days to travel anywhere in the United States at the end of your placement. New York, Los Angeles, the Colorado ski fields… are all within easy reach.

Internship USA is open to full time students over 18 years of age who are currently enrolled at university or a technical education provider, such as TAFE in Australia or Polytechnic in NZ (minimum Diploma level course of two years duration). Part-time students cannot be accepted. Students must have completed their first year of studies.

My internship allowed me to gain a first-hand glimpse of US culture from the heart of American government. During my time in Washington, I made so many fantastic friends and learned valuable professional skills that have since helped me to find a job working in the field of my choice.

Thomas Curran, Australia, Internship at US Congress in Washington DC

Students must commence their program within 12 months of completing their studies

  • You can work anywhere in the USA for up to 12 months in a job that is directly related to your studies
  • Placements should consist of practical training directly related to your field of study in any of eight categories of employment
  • You are prohibited from taking a casual or second job and from working in a number of areas
  • You can participate either during your studies or within the 12 months following the completion of your studies
  • Your internship can be paid or unpaid (participants must show proof of having at least USD$750 per month to support themselves)
  • You must find work prior to visa documentation being issued
  • Once you have been offered a placement, we will provide an Internship Agreement Pack and visa assistance
  • You can remain as a tourist in the US for up to 30 days after the completion of your work visa
  • You can start your placement at any time of the year. You will be sponsored for a J-1 Visa for the duration of your internship as certified by your employer. The maximum length of sponsorship is 12 months.

International students are eligible to apply but the granting of visas is at the discretion of the US consulate.

Hear from others